Equipment & Supplies
Before you set off to go hiking, be prepared to take some essential supplies for your health and safety.
- Full large water bottle per person
- Large protective hat
- Sunglasses, sunscreen (30+) and insect repellant
- Clothes to suit the activity and potential weather conditions
- Binoculars and camera.
- All day walk supplies and,
- Plenty of drinking water. minimum 2 litres per person per day, 3 litres per day in hot weather and longer day walks.
- A good Compass,
- Pen and paper
- Map and guide books of the area.
- Trail energy food to keep your energy levels up on longer walks. Try different combinations of nuts, dried fruit, seeds, chocolate and jellybeans.
- Plastic bag to remove all your rubbish.
- Reference material such as wildflower and bird books.
- Whistle (for emergencies, six short blasts per minute).
- Pocket knife
- Small plastic trowel for toilet emergencies and a few sheets of toilet tissue in a small plastic bag.
- Medical kit with: heavy crepe bandage (for sprains and snake bite), antiseptic lotion, insect repellent (non aerosol), personal medication (including pain killers), blister kit and fixomull.